DevOps is the culture that combines development and operations to save time, cost, and bugs in the development. DevOps brings in the automated way of doing the DevOps life cycle management and DevOps pipeline to maximize the faster delivery and remove bottlenecks in the software development and operations. The traditional Software Development Life Cycle had many problems such as bugs in the development which was discovered only at the end, siloed development and operations which lead to the many cycles of SDLC and increase cost and time to market.
The development and operations are combined in DevOps and they are no longer siloed. The build and test take place as soon as the new code is committed in the version control repository. This helps in finding the bugs and errors at the earliest.
All the phases of the DevOps Life Cycle Management are iterated once the new code is committed in the version control repository in an automated way with the help of DevOps tools, thus making the job of DevOps professional easy and simple. The deliverables are achievable and take less time to market with high quality and less cost. In this article, we will discuss the DevOps practices that help to achieve the DevOps culture. Enroll for DevOps training online at StarAgile to know more in DevOps and get certified.
DevOps Best Practices
The first thing in DevOps is to set up the centralized unit using DevOps tools such as Grafana, Splunk, Prometheus, Jenkins, Nagios, and Terraform. These are some of the tools that are used in DevOps to make the centralized unit. The centralized unit consists of servers, VM, and other workstations that are used to configure the tools for DevOps. Get the DevOps certificate training at StarAgile and reap the benefits DevOps certification has to offer. The DevOps practices are shown in the diagram below. Before that, know about the general benefits offered by DevOps in business.
Continuous Integration - The Continuous Integration is part of the CI/CD DevOps pipeline which helps to build high-quality software. Through continuous integration, the development team commits the code in the central version control repository multiple times and CI is used for automated build and tests to validate the quality of code. This is done on an hourly basis or daily basis whenever the new codes are committed in the version control repository.
Continuous Deployment - Continuous deployment is the automated way of deploying the codes in various production environments. It consists of phrases such as Development, builds, testing, build-testing, deployment, and post-deployment. The deployment is done in an automated way using various tools such as Harness, Spinnaker, Ansible, Jenkins, puppet, and chef, etc.
Continuous Delivery - Continuous delivery in DevOps is an automated way of testing the codebase and deploying the passed codes into the production. DevOps enables this by making the generation of codes, by shorter cycles and very frequently. The build, test, and release are done frequently and much quicker without any time wastage. This enables less production failure risk, faster delivery, and with no manual deployments.
Configuration and Change management - These are an important phase of the DevOps cycle. The configuration management is the automation of managing, configuration, monitoring, and maintenance of the entire infrastructure such as applications, servers, network devices, storage, and all managed services. Using Infrastructure-as-a-code practices the configuration management simplifies the new environment setup and reduces the risk of production configuration. If there are any changes required during the configuration management the change management comes into the picture.
Communication - In DevOps communication is the key to the successful development of the software. In every phase of DevOps, professionals must have transparent and engaging communication to avoid failures.
Test Automation - The automated testing in the DevOps minimizes time, increases the testing frequency, run more tests, and saves time on spent on the manual tests. There are lots of testing tools in DevOps such as Appium, Selenium, XCUITest, RobotFramework, and JUnit, etc for test automation.
Continuous Monitoring - Continuous monitoring is the phase in DevOps to monitor all the systems and infrastructure using alerts, dashboards, and many other tools to get real-time information on the various monitoring metrics such as success and failure rates error logs, system performance, deployment status, and the number of tests. All the information is provided in the form of a dashboard with tabular, graphical charts, and detailed reports. Some of the popular tools in the monitoring of systems and infrastructures are Splunk, Nagios, Prometheus, NewRelic, Grafana, and Logstash, etc.
StarAgile offers the Best DevOps training in the market; get the DevOps certification at StarAgile.
7 DevOps practices
The 7 best DevOps practices are discussed below,
1. Version Control - In DevOps version control is the key thing as the codes are committed in the version control repository multiple times as frequently as on an hourly basis or the daily basis. All should share the same single source of truth.
2. CI and CD - The CI/CD pipeline is the backbone of the DevOps Life Cycle Management. The committed code is built, tested, and released almost daily and as frequently as required.
3. Automated Acceptance Testing - This is automated testing performed as frequently as the committed code in the version control repository. This is the success of Continuous Delivery as there are multiple releases of the new codes. The key thing is to manage the testing in such a way that the results are communicated to all the required DevOps engineers if there are bugs, errors, or success in the testing of the codes.
4. Reviewing Production changes - This is a peer review of the production changes and the key to success is to leverage the team's mutual accountability, shared goals, and the team's knowledge of the subject. Take up the DevOps online course at StarAgile for more information about the DevOps culture.
5. Trusting culture - The key to successful DevOps culture is the synergy between the teams, a single source of truth, and shared goals.
6. Monitoring of Production Environment continuously - With various automated tools manage the production environment proactively and communicate the results in the form of meetings, reports, and dashboards to the stakeholders.
7. Keeping Developments and Operations together - By managing the production failure risks and keeping the code and the platform up to date is the responsibility of the developers and sysadmins in DevOps. Releasing the code frequently into the production with the necessary changes will change the lives of Operations people a lot.
DevOps best practices are key to implementing DevOps culture in the organization. StarAgile conducts the best DevOps training online. To know more about DevOps culture and to get DevOps online certification register with StarAgile institute. StarAgile’s DevOps training is industry-recognized training with a lot of benefits such as high salary pay, high growth, and high demand within the organization and outside of it.