DevOps has so many tools for the best practices in software development and many times it becomes very confusing about how to choose the right one. Using DevOps helps in software as well as app development and seeing this, there are many tools that come into the picture. Today in this article we are going to cover two of the most amazing tools in DevOps and see what they are and how they differ from each other. By the end of this article, you will be able to choose the best tool for your software developer net. In this article, we will make sure that you not only know about the difference between Ansible and Kubernetes but also have a solid knowledge of these tools individually. You will have an in-depth knowledge of these tools in your DevOps training as well.
What is Ansible?
If you are looking for a tool that helps in IT manual processes, the configuration of various data and systems, application deployment, and also the orchestration of those processes, then one of the best automation tools to be used in DevOps is Ansible. This tool uses straightforward languages for the automation processes it completes. Using this cloud provisioning can be done as well. One of the major things about Ansible is that it does not depend on the client-side server and works as open-source software that can be used as a solution by anyone.
Advantages and Features of Ansible:
Ansible is used for various purposes as mentioned above. Below are some of the major features and advantages that the team is going to have with Ansible use in their project:
One of the major reasons why many people are going for Ansible is because of its simplicity to learn and use. This platform can be used to have better productivity by not only the professionals but it can be used by beginners as well with ease. The logic and workflow can be learned very easily and errors can be identified to have a better working environment while using Ansible.
Access to Ansible Galaxy
Along with its simple nature to learn and use, the Ansible Galaxy makes it easier for the users to look for the best practices of these tools and implement them in their projects. It can work as a central repository where the team can look for the uses, features, and related content to make sure that the deployment process is carried with maximum efficiency. All the information related to the system configuration and other installations is very easily available at Ansible Galaxy which can be referred to at any time.
Flexibility and efficiency
The customizable nature of this tool is very helpful as the application can be orchestrated to wherever it is needed to be deployed. This flexibility comes in handy very much sometimes. Not only does it provide flexibility, but it is also very efficient. No agents are required in Ansible and the other external software is not needed for this to work.
Playbooks and Use of Python language
YAML is used for Ansible and this is a major advantage over other automation languages like JSON. Playbooks are used in Ansible and they are written in YAML which is very easy to use. Ansible is written in Python which is one of the most used languages in software development. This makes it easier for the user to use Ansible.
What is Kubernetes?
Kubernetes is known as a container management system which is one of the top open source platforms. It is growing ever since it was built and in recent years we have seen so much growth in this. When the project needs to scale, manage or deploy the containerized apps, this automation tool is being used. The main advantage is that it is compatible with various other container tools and is able to manage the complex system with a unified API interface over various platforms and servers.
Advantages and Features of Kubernetes :
Now that we have an understanding of what Kubernetes is, let’s look at the features and various benefits of using Kubernetes which are mentioned below:
With the proper implementation of Kubernetes in the engineering workflow, productivity can be increased many times. The complex nature of the deployment and other processes in the development can be automated. The adaptable nature of the Kubernetes makes it one of the major automation tools that provide efficiency while scaling and reducing the containers and managing the workloads as well.
Just like Ansible, Kubernetes is also open source and can be used by anyone. This is free and one of the most demanding tools that can be used in the projects for scaling of container apps in the various systems available.
Multi could compatibility
Another great advantage of using Kubernetes is that it is compatible with various clouds. The workloads that are running on the single cloud can be managed by Kubernetes, but it is also able to control the workloads that are running on various clouds. His multi-cloud flexibility makes kubernetes one of the major tools to be used for automation.
Also, the self healing capabilities of Kubernetes where it can delete the containers that are no longer in use are also very impressive. It can manage automated rollouts and rollbacks as well. Along with this, the predictable infrastructure can be developed using the Kubernetes. And if you are looking to have a higher density of resource utilization, then going for this tool is going to serve the purpose for you. In the devops course, you can learn all about the features of kubernetes and how this is one of the future-proof technologies of this time.
Ansible Vs Kubernetes
- Now coming to the difference between kubernetes and ansible, there are various aspects that you can use to distinguish between these two tools. Those are mentioned below:
- Ansible is the tool where Python is used as a programming language. This is easy to learn and use and it is widely used as well. And if we talk about kubernetes, it is run on Go Programming.
- The process where the automation tool is required for the installation and configurations of various platforms on the servers is needed, Ansible is an excellent choice. But with Kubernetes, various other things are needed. This includes configuration of the security, attaching the storage, auditing, and logging, along with enabling monitoring.
- Where the development of larger apps is required, using Kubernetes could be the best solution. While, if the requirement is for the front end developers where the programming is required, Ansible can be used to make the tasks easier and efficient.
- One of the major differences is that Ansible is the tool that is used for the automation of deployment of various software, the configuration of the system as well as the organization of various complex processes that are related to the IT part of the software development. But if we talk about Kubernetes, it is used to manage the workloads and use nodes for its functioning. It has containers that are used to orchestrate the system.
- Despite the various differences that are present in both of these automation tools, if they are used in the software development cycle together, they are going to have fruitful results for the teams. The Kubernetes will help in taking care of the good health of the containers and their management. While on the other hand, Ansible will be able to help in better provision for deployments, configuration, and system management. The automation of updates can be easily managed using Ansible whereas the Kubernetes will be able to help in other processes related to the maintenance.
- Also, with Kubernetes, the users will get an excellent load balancing concept whereas, in Ansible, if the user needs to manage the Windows host, a Linux control machine is needed to be used.
As discussed above, we have come across the two most important automation tools- ansible and kubernetes. These tools are becoming very much in demand with the more advances that are coming in, the use of these tools is nowhere to diminish. DevOps is becoming an important part of all the major projects in which software development is required and using these tools, that task is made easier. Also, we have seen that there could not be a direct comparison between these two tools as they complement each other when they perform the function for which they are best used. So they both work in their own circle. But one thing is sure that these tools have made various tasks very much easier for the team. They have added efficiency, productivity, and flexibility to various processes in the project.
And if you wish to expand your knowledge and dive deep into this pool, then DevOps learning is your way to go. With the right course, which is available at StarAgile, not only will you get a quality understanding of various concepts of DevOps, but also have hands-on experience with these tools. There is nothing better than practical knowledge. So, have your chance at DevOps certification with the best course out there for your learning and enroll in it now.