In today’s world, job competition is getting very tough. You need to keep your skills at a very high value in an online world which is fast-paced; it does not matter if you are a consultant or corporate employee or a job seeker. In IT and service field, Agile has gained importance in today’s world as a standard for project management. Agile tools, techniques, and concepts have been adopted by most of the project management professionals to do the projects successfully that was never there earlier.
If you want to make an agile as a career or change careers, you can get an agile certification. As there are many types of rigorous and valuable certifications, it can be difficult to know what to do. CSM and SAFe are currently the two most in-demand IT certifications that enhance professional development and pay structure. In this article, you must understand that to fly high in the career you need to have CSM certification as the foundation and SAFe certification as the wings of the parachute. Let’s understand in detail as to why you must choose SAFe after CSM.
The certifications that we are considering here requires a certain amount of basic understanding of Scrum and/or roles and experience of Scrum Master. These certifications require classroom training.
For evaluating the value of the certifications we must reflect on the following things given below:
- A fee of the training program
- Thoroughness of assessment process
- Whether basic understanding and any of the subject is a pre-requisite
- How proficiency is evaluated
Industry Value viewpoint must be factored here along with the above-described list and they are as follows:
- How relevant are the certifications for Business Goals and Objectives?
- Whether this certification helps in career and what we are looking to achieve?
- What does this certification represent?
Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
Certified Scrum Master, from Scrum Alliance is one of the renowned and extensively recognized certifications in the world. It is a two-day instructor-led training and as a pre-requisite needs a basic understanding of Scrum and basic experience in Scrum role of Scrum Products. However, it is not that difficult to understand the subject and attain the certifications and also not having mastery of the Scrum or Scrum roles and products is fine for attending the CSM course.
However, to show that the CSM is not an ordinary certification in 2012 to recover the value and genuineness the ‘CSM assessment’ was introduced and the course fee included the assessment and course training. However, the assessment is not that difficult in anyway.
CSM course offers educational and engaging classes about Agile methodology and Scrum framework. You can quickly register in an classroom course and learn both advanced and basics version of scrum concepts to handle projects in a better way. The syllabus is designed in such a way it covers the outline of both the empirical and defined processes. Also, this course includes the history of agile, the framework, agile principles, and manifesto. Get a hold on the basics and then practice to become an expert in the sophisticated operational agile principles.
Few other elements of CSM certification course include scrum framework’s aerial view, values of scrum values, and its artifacts. Several functions, roles or responsibilities of scrum are also explained in detail such as the role of a PO, developer and the scrum master. Mastering the responsibilities and the roles are the key to improve the performance on the job. Further, each role like the QA and the manager is well defined and hence you can assess the roles and improve the performance.
The experts in the training will deliver details about sprint retrospectives, execution, and planning. The syllabus has the details about Release burn chart, sprint chart, product backlog refinement, the definition of done and acceptance criteria. Finally, you can manage teams and make them self-organizing and your workload as monitoring is not required. The training duration is 2 days and is a classroom 16-hour training with simulations, case studies, role plays, and classroom sessions.
Scaled Agile has created the SAFe framework which is called the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). It guides every organization to develop agile technology throughout the enterprise. This has become an exceptional framework that can be incorporated into any existing enterprise structure to give the whole organization the advantages of Agile in a short span of time. There are many Benefits working with Scaled Agile Framework.
Apart from the evaluations, formalized standard training provided ensures that every participant understands the framework as well as their role in a SAFe adopted company.
Although the SAFe course contains valuable lessons which can be used on the other Agile flavors, it is important for an individual who pays the Scrum Master role first time get a detailed understanding about their role and its integration in the SAFe approach.
When you talk to customers who acquired their CSM a few years ago and have recently been granted SAFe certification since their company is migrating to SAFe, SAFe offers students more hands-on management skills and more, as well as leadership skills that enable them to play the role of Scrum Masters. The certification exam has more advanced and role-based questions. Here are the Top 10 Reasons to get SAFe Certification.
Top 10 Reasons - Why SAFe After CSM
1. The CSM certification is generally recognized atthe beginning with the understanding of the agile practices and principles. Itprovides basic knowledge of the Scrum methodology, tools and techniques. In atwo day course, the teaching is restricted to Scrum. This is for newcomers whohave the flair to work on Agile. With the CSM and subsequent professionaltraining, a person learns to use Agile, but the skills get limited only toscrum basics. Take a look at the image and realize that the SAFe exam preparesyou to understand scrum concepts in detail. Whereas, CSM questions are basicsthat tunes you to have an agile mindset.
2. The advancedagile framework SAFe is the popular framework in the recent developmentprojects due to the reason that is can be used for large enterprise. SAFe'sAgile Certification Program is beneficial for executives and managers since itallows them to become the change agent take initiatives to change the companywork in agile way.
3. Agilemethods are adopted by most of the organizations, as they help them to providethe customer with the best possible quality output. With SAFe's Agilistcertification, participants can effectively take advantage of the SAFeframework to connect the implementation team to the whole organization.
4. SAFEtraining helps users master the challenges of large software companies. Thesesessions improve the effective use of the Scrum methodology that is missing atthe team level.
5. InSAFe Agilist certification, you can get a hold on the entire SAFe framework,principles, and practices. Learn agile development quickly get an education onportfolio management and agile architecture. The certification allows you to deliverand execute assets through the Agile Release Trains (ARTs).
6. If youbelieve that your business is at par with the market and marching forward towardsa larger business and your lean portfolio is capable, you should consider SAFeAgile certification. The Agile SAFE training program shows you how to executeas well as deliver using with ART. You can also make an agile transformation inyour organization. At the same time, you can learn how to create theuninterrupted distribution channel and the DevOps culture.
7. For moreinformation about the benefits of investing in the SAFE Training andCertification Program, is an increase in your salary. Yes, depending on yourexperience, you can get paid between 16 and 24 LPA. Without a doubt, it is aninspiring fact to register in SAFe certification in India and obtain agileknowledge in depth to become an agile market leader.
8. Certainly,it is beneficial to pass the SAFe Agile certification after CSM because, SAFecertifications offer huge opportunities in the information technology industry,and many companies see SAFe as a solution for the agility of their businesses.SAFe's key training provide Lean-agile, leadership concepts that prepare the individualfor leadership roles in scaling agile.
9. The SAFeAgile certification demonstrates the knowledge of SAFe and positions every individualas the agility leader that drives and accompanies the transformation of SAFeinto the business.
- Goinline with the current market approach.
10. SAFeprovides best practices and roadmap for agile introduction at the businesslevel. SAFE certifications cover all aspects of agility, from architecture tointegration, including finance, governance, and roles.
SAFe Agilist (SAFe)
Agile isfor small projects and small systems, However, Agile can be used by Scrum Teamand small projects successfully. Then, there is a question of what we do forbigger and complex projects? Can we use Agile for the larger teams acrossgeographies and at the enterprise level? Can we successfully lead the biggerscrum projects? For this Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) is the answer to all theabove questions. SAFe is used in large complex projects, large geographically diversifiedteam and an enterprise level. There is a misunderstanding and sometimes SAFe andAgile are used interchangeably which should be avoided, because the SAFe is notonly Agile but much more than that, there should not be any confusion on thissubject. SAFe deals with the Scrum at a larger level and intricate details aresummarized in SAFe and Agile built on Scrum do not address this in any way. Ifsomebody used Agile Scrum and SAFe interchangeably then it is due to not understandingthe concept and details of SAFe and Agile and due to lack of knowledge of boththe concepts.
In shortAgile and SAFe are two different concepts; SAFe can be regarded as multipleteams working together in an enterprise and is used in larger complex projects.Scrum is definitely used in small teams and the change is that SAFe all the individualsmall teams work to attend the daily review scrum calls and then together asone team attend their review daily SAFe call which is at the larger level. Inthe end, each and every teams' output is combined and collaborated to show alarger single piece of projects.
So toconclude if you want the basics and concepts of the Scrum and agile go for theCSM and is very useful for small Scrum projects. Initially, you need to go forCSM course understand it better and then take up SAFe for larger enterpriselevel projects. If you need to lead any projects then it is safely recommendedto go for SAFe certifications
In short,those who want to attend the basics and conceptual understanding of the Scrumand Agile need to go for CSM training. In case if you already have the basic understandingof Scrum and Agile and want to lead a large team can go for SAFe certification.
SAFe is anadvanced version of CSM where you understand how to lead a large team and scaleup methodologies of Scrum and Agile.