Recently this concept led to the chief spotlight of developing a collaborative culture and increased efficiency by automation. Organizations might believe one to be more valuable than the other, but the actuality is that both tools and culture are important to attain success. From this compilation, this got the name of DevOps. It combines both development and operations stating the surety of success.
This process of blending two functions provides ample opportunity to engineer community. This brought umpteen numbers of jobs to the market. Having said that, it is important to correctly understand the DevOps roles and responsibilities from both an individual and the organization's perspective.
Who is DevOps Engineer?
DevOps Engineers are either system admins having a passion for coding, scripting, and moving towards development to improvise the system of panning for tests and deployments or get into as developers having an interest in network operations and deployment. They usually assist developers and the IT staffs to have supervision on the code releases.
Their focuses lie upon maintenance and automation in the existing world in live production. Then it becomes easy to apply for a profession that highlights maintenance and automation of system development, products, and service delivery.
These engineers aid IT, developers, to improvise coordination between development, operations, and testing functionalities by automating and streamlining deployment processes and the integration.
What does a DevOps Engineer do?
The name tells that a DevOps official is responsible for development and operations. Let us in detail understand what exactly they do in the below section.
- IT infrastructure improvement and design: Your infrastructure can also pull down you. So these engineers can easily find out the lacking areas and improve them. This would encourage collaboration and finally, your release would reach the market quickly.
- Project management: Sometimes DevOps Engineers take up the lead of managing the questions of whom, when, where, and how in an IT project and gets assured about everybody’s understanding of all questions, awareness of the deadline, and in regular contact.
- Benchmarking and performance testing: DevOps Engineers have the responsibility of assessing the functioning of the systems. This is also a key part.
- Optimization of release cycles: Time is precious. But you may lose your precious time because of your slow release cycles. This problem is also handled by the DevOps Engineers who optimize release cycles and `also get rid of hidden time drains thereby introducing different ways of executing the process smoothly.
- Automation: Has your releases slowed down due to some vital but recurring tasks? This can be solved by automation. This is one of the key roles for these professionals. They automate and build software plugins that can reduce the software team’s load
- Security: Sec-DevOps is important and a newly emerging field that does the automation of security along with development and operation activities. This is achieved by automating the processes, releases timelines and the designs.
- Reporting and monitoring: This is yet a key role expected from a DevOps engineer. They are supposed to eliminate the TTD and reduce TTM (time to deduct and time to minimize respectively)
DevOps Engineer Roles and Responsibilities
Experience: DevOps roles and responsibilities for a person given below talk about automation, integration, and cloud coding languages. Therefore, the experience of at least two in development, integration, or related becomes a mandate to succeed in this position. This can be gained by IT Project managers, Systems managers, or Database Administrators.
- The experience of deploying many automation tools of DevOps is a must. Thorough knowledge of software development through automation tools is necessary.
- The agile methodology of continuous iteration in the software development and testing is helpful for the DevOps Engineers to apply agile in day to day tasks of DevOps.
- To have a smooth flow in becoming a development operations engineer, one must be an expert in deployment and software code testing.
- He needs to be working with a mixture of technologies and many open-source tools to efficiently manage source codes.
- Knowledge of one scripting language, various programming languages of computer, and understanding of the basic Linux concepts would suffice.
- Prime aspires of DevOps must be having the capability to connect to technical and business goals with enthusiasm.
- The person with the ability to handle a team and also having better communication skills becomes a complete DevOps professional.
- Thoroughly knowing about system admin roles and IT operations to organize the entire deployment and integration process would highly benefit.
Skill Requirement for DevOps Engineers
Tool and Technologies
One should have a fine knowledge of testing, deployment technologies, and development as multiple tools are required to cross various stages in DevOps.
Linux scripting fundamentals
Knowing minimum one scripting language is mandatory because if you want to become a DevOps engineer you will have to upgrade your infrastructure by automating. Many companies have Linux environment, also Linux has the master nodes of various CM tools like-Ansible, Puppet, and Chef. Knowledge of Linux fundamentals and one scripting language (Python, Ruby or Pearl) is highly necessary to those who want to become a DevOps engineer.
Infrastructure As Code (IAC)
IAC is an IT infrastructure. This can be managed automatically and a manual process is not needed and provision is done via coding. This is also known as programmable infrastructure.
IAC is a boon to the IT world that bridges the gap between the developer and the hardware admin and connects them on one platform.
Saltstack, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc are examples of these kinds of tools.
Continuous Delivery (CD) and Continuous Integration (CI)
Knowing all tools may not suffice as knowledge of where to use the tools, is equally important. To facilitate CI and CD is done with the tools. In certain cases facilitating Continuous Deployment is also done with tools, but Continuous Deployment is taken into account as a bad practice sometimes. So one needs to acquire all skills but know when to use them as well.
Concepts of DevOps
As of now we only discussed the technical skills. But remember that DevOps is a methodology and not a technology.
To release good software, bringing the Dev and the Ops part of the organization together is necessary. This is done by DevOps methodology. By understanding the concepts of DevOps you can handle any business problems.
Good communication skills of developers and operation staff are important to develop, release the software in time, and market that software with better quality, low cost, and efforts. Better soft skills would improve the understanding between the developers and the operation staff. Understanding is necessary for a good quality job.
Businesses and customers could maintain a positive relationship with the aid of DevOps professionals.
The skills of listening, problem-solving, building teams, and negotiation must be built-in people who want to enter in this field.
What is expected from a DevOps Engineer at the moment?
Other than taking care of one certain task or looking after one responsibility running around many roles to do justice to the position is the major expectation from a DevOps engineer. Also, remember that you need to improvise the business process and solve the problems of the organization. You must possess certain skills like integration, coding, and testing handson.
Worry not and just register for a DevOps Certification with us. Come with the determination to learn and we will take you to the next level.