The PMI-ACP examination is a certification that attests an individual's skill as an Agile certified practitioner. This article gives a detailed idea about the agile practitioner exam and question pattern of this prestigious and globally accredited certification exam.
Overview of PMI ACP Exam
An increasing number of industries today are moving towards the agile methodology for project execution because of the high success rate for projects using agile methodology, as compared to others.
PMI ACP is one of the prestigious certification exams from PMI which is renowned for project management and includes a diverse variety of agile methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, Extreme programming, Test Driven Development, and more.
Application Process of PMI-ACP Exam
- To apply for the PMI ACP exam, one must log in to the PMI website and access the application section of PMI ACP certification.
- Here, all project-related experience is mentioned in the prerequisite section (both general and agile).
- The details of the PMI ACP training, previously undertaken must be entered. PMI will review the same for confirming your eligibility. The process usually takes 8-10 days.
- The exam fee needs to be paid after the approval. Post confirmation, ACP Exam slot can be booked on the line.
Structure of PMI-ACP Exam
The ACP exam is a 3-hour long exam and consists of 120 multiple-choice questions. Out of these 120, 20 are considered as pre-test questions. The result of these pre-test questions will not be carried to the final score of the candidate.
PMI ACP Exam Pattern
For the PMI ACP exam pattern, candidates are tested on their knowledge and experience on seven domains in agile methodology. Here is the break up of these based on the percentage of PMI ACP exam questions :
|Agile principles and mindset||16%|
|Problem detection and resolution||10%|
Preparation for the PMI-ACP exam
The PMI-ACP exam does not have a primary publication for candidates to study. Instead, PMI® provides a comprehensive list of reference materials.
Further, the PMI-ACP handbook gives the complete details of the exam process, including the procedures and exam policies. The first two sections of the handbook are crucial and cover all the basics such as exam eligibility requirements, the payment policy, how to complete the online application, and the exam blueprint.
Cost of the PMI ACP certification exam
The cost of the exam is dependent on the PMI membership of the candidate and the format chosen for the exam. Given below is a breakdown of the cost related details based on examination type and PMI membership:
|Exam Type||PMI Member status||Price in US dollars ($)|
Individual PMI Membership is available for $139 for one year which can be renewed every year.
Re-Take PMI ACP Exam Fee:
Given below is the structure of ACP exam retake fees for members and non-members of PMI (given in USD)
- Re-examination fee for PMI members -- $150
- Re-examination fee for non-PMI members -- $200
1. How much time does it take to prepare for the PMI-ACP exam?
The study material covered by the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner Exam is very detailed and extensive. Candidates need to thoroughly plan their PMI ACP exam prep time as it can take anywhere between 10 to 12 weeks of rigorous studying for at least an hour or two every day. The preparation will be faster if the candidate spends more time on it on a daily basis.
2. Is the PMI-ACP exam available in languages other than English?
The PMI-ACP exam is translated into multiple languages. You can consult the certification handbooks for details on specific languages available.
3. What happens if my eligibility expires and I have not taken the PMI-ACP exam?
Your application is valid for one year from the date of approval. If your eligibility expires, you need to reapply for taking the exam.
4. Can I retake the exam, if I fail in 1st attempt?
If you fail the exam on your first attempt, you are allowed to retake it two more times within your one-year eligibility period. However, fees are associated with every re-examination.
5. What is the cost to retake the exam?
In the case of PMI members, the exam retake cost is $150, whereas for non-members the amount is $200.